Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Smitten in the Mitten Pt. 2

Hi to all, 

My roommate just uploaded 40 seconds of me rapping Ludo to her snapchat story, I am putting off a paper that is due in 2 days, and I single-handedly just ate half a roll of cookie dough which I bought today to fit my particularly sulky sweet mood. Folks, I have officially hit my all-time low. Happy Wednesday to you and you and you. 

Don't mind me while I reminisce upon mildly better days. 



Part dos of being smitten. (We be like, bye Mackinac).


I don't remember how long it took us to boat from Mackinac to Charlevoix. I think maybe 3 or 4 hours. I do remember feeling like a child and squealing every time my stomach dropped from riding the huge waves. Also, I proudly refrained from taking a Bonine. #trueboater. Anyways, we came into Charlevoix through this little channel. We were instantly greeted by friendly Michiganders enjoying a beer on the patio of the restaurant to the right of this photo. And the water doesn't get bluer. And for these reasons and many more, I love thee, Great Lakes. 


As always, my uncle's docking skills never seize to amaze me. (I forgot to mention, he docked Blue Fairways in the middle of the night in Mackinac with the help of his crew of 3. Yeah, not me because I have one foot and I'm "as useless as tits on a boar" - Uncle Greg). The first thing we did when we got settled was check out the downtown area. I found a store that sold Alex & Ani bracelets, and I was soooo happy. I'm having so much fun collecting these adorable bangles. Ronni and Mallory had to pull my scooter by the handle bars to help me up the giant hill. I'm sure it was an amazing site to see. I try to laugh these things off, as you can tell. 


Our view from the bow. They had a pavilion to the left with live music. We so enjoyed people watching at this event. You can tell it is such a relaxed and community-oriented town. Props to you, Charlevoix!


YES we went on a little cruise around Lake Charlevoix. 


And we found a cute little restaurant and ate some fishy things. We enjoyed each other's company and took it all in. Indeed, we did end the summer right. And no, we didn't jump off the edge this year because 1)  I have one working foot and 2) the water was "as cold as a witch's tit in a brass bra." - Aunt Sandy. (don't ask me).


Another dinghy ride! I love these bridges so much. We waved to our fellow dinghians and joked about how we weren't sure we would make it under without hitting the top. Barely squeezed by! And again, we toasted with our captain cokes to any boater or fisherman along the way.


Honestly though, are up north sunsets not the best sunsets you have ever seen?

"Does a frog have a water tight a**hole?" - Ungle Greg


AGH! Another reason to love dinghies! You get to go on little adventures and then you accidentally find yourself in a scene from Pocahontas and then all the sudden you're haphazardly singing, "Just Around the River Bend" and Randy who was in Purdue's Glee Club is plugging his ears because you're all like, "ORRRR DOOOO YOUUU STILLLL WAIT FOR ME DREAMGIVERRRRR!" (Not your best note).



Nothing in the widest of worlds beats Blue Fairways Sundaes. Even more so, nothing beats Blue Fairways Sundaes + late night euchre combo. Also, I gotta give my Aunt Karen a shoutout for having the best snack food ever.


I am so sad to say it but this marks our last day of Boat Trip 2k14. It's name is Leland, MI. It's an actual Fishtown Preservation. Their website describes it best. 

"Fishtown is a collection of weathered fishing shanties, smokehouses, overhanging docks, fish tugs and charter boats along the Leland River in Leland, Michigan. The heart of a commercial fishing village, Fishtown is where we can still see and feel a connection to the long tradition of Great Lakes maritime culture." http://www.fishtownmi.org

This little place was one of the coolest towns I have ever seen. I love seeing history preserved and appreciated and I love being able to step into the past. They should make an Epcot of Michigan, but instead of drinking/eating around the world, you drink different Bell's beer and eat all different kinds of fish. #randomthought


This trip ended with my cousins' Aunt Sandy and Grandma Pat coming to Leland and enjoying some local shrimp with us. We then drove all the way back to Ludington while Randy and my Uncle Greg enjoyed a couple more days of fishing with friends. Even driving home is a magical and sacred sliver of the trip. We all talk about our favorite part and tell stories of the funniest memories. All the while, observing the beautiful trees and woods to the left, and a bright blue lake to the right. 

I know it's a cliche, but the best part of any family vacation is being with the people you love the most and enjoying that time you have with them. I am always so thankful for these memories shared with my family, the people I love and value the most in my life. I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. And when you have a really amazing adventure like that, you can't help but invite yourself back again and again and again. 

And with that I ask, "Ungle Greg, am I invited back next year?"

And he better be saying, "Does a bear s*** in the woods?"

No comments:

Post a Comment