Monday, March 14, 2016

O Königssee

The view at Schönau am Königssee had me nearly doubled over, jaw to the ground, every previous thought of nature shattered into tons and tons of pieces. I wanted to reach out, grab a piece of it, put it in my pocket and keep it under my pillow at night. It was just all so graceful and raw. Seeing this with my own eyes was like molding all my own future daydreams. 

From where I started, I had the view of a deep blue lake with mountains surrounding. Across the lake there was a tobogganing tournament. To our left, there were old wooden boathouses and docks. Königssee is a part of Berchtesgaden National Park in the southeast corner of Germany. It is untouched, undeveloped, and entirely unbelievable. 

We went on a short walk to get to the lookout area and as we did, the lake I had seen before sort of turned into a wide river as it drained into the larger lake, twisting around the mountains. I could only get short glimpses of it through the trees and branches but when I did I remember feeling like Pocahontas (truly an inspiring and momentous revelation for me, as Pocahontas is goals).

And then it opened up; the pinnacle of all amazing views I had ever seen in my life. (Rewind to said doubled-over, jaw-to-the-floor, brain-explosion, teary-eyed experience).

I climbed over a fence and down a steep slope to get up close to the water with a few friends. I was standing on some rock just breathing the air. But how can I fathom?! And how can I put into words?! I am in love with it.

My friend Michi, was standing a few feet behind me. After a few silent minutes went by: "Hey Madeline, do you want a picture?" "Oh. Yes please."

Thanks, Michael. I would have forgotten otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment